Wednesday, September 9, 2009

How To Sew A Pillow Case



This being my very first tutorial I thought I would start out with something pretty easy and fun to make. I love to collect fabric of all sorts and so with that I have "WAY" to much just sitting in drawers. So I went through some of my fabric the other day and decided to put some to use. My mom had sent me this really cute cat material a few months ago and I decided to make Avery my daughter a fun pillowcase for her bed since she was using an old plain one anyway. So here is what you need

fabric of choice
siccors
sewing machine
ribbon ( if want )
Fray Check ( for ribbon ends)
a pillowcase to use for pattern


I prewased my fabric the night before so that it was already pre shrunk. I always have an iron handy to smooth out the wrinkles. I used an old pillowcase from my room and laid it on top of my fabric.

Make sure you have the closed end of the pillowcase lined up on the fold of the fabric. You want the opened end of the pillowcase on nap.

I don't use a pencil to trace the pattern out. I just go out about a inch and a half from the pattern and start cutting around it.

Be sure not to cut on the fold!


Next I go to my sewing machine and sew down both sides about 5/8 width. I do go back and sew a second seem to reinforce the sides.
Next I make the cuff of the pillow opening. I fold the pillowcase cuff down while the fabric is inside out still and iron the fold down. I use my pattern for how far to fold it down with the pillowcase pattern. I then sew a 5/8 hem around the folded cuff and then make a 1/4 hem around the cuff again. I then iron it all out again.



To add ribbon, just pin around cuff and sew with a zig zag all around. I then made two bows and then attached them with a needle and thread.




Once your done with your decorative ribbon I always add "Fray Check" to the ends of my ribbon. That way it won't unravel easily. !

This was so much fun to make! I know you have some material around your house that could be put to use. Why not try a pillow case. Happy Sewing

No comments: